All copyrighted works on this site are property of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan with exceptions. (Note 1)
(Note 1) Some copyrights are jointly owned by NAOJ and other institutions; others are not owned by NAOJ. Back
NAOJ manages and operates this site with the utmost of care, but bears no liability for any damages incurred as a result of the use of this site or information contained on this site.
NAOJ may modify or delete information contained on this site without notice, and may suspend or terminate the operation of this site without notice. In such cases, NAOJ bears no liability for any inconvenience or other problems resulting therefrom.
NOAJ Copyrighted Works on this site may be used within the following scope and subject to the following terms. Separate terms apply to copyrights that are jointly owned by NAOJ and other institutions and to copyrights that are not owned by NAOJ.
(1) Scope of use
Copyrighted Works may be used without obtaining the permission of the copyright holder provided such use is for educational activities at schools and other educational institutions or personal use as set forth in the general restrictions on rights in the Copyright Act of Japan. (Note 2)
Copyrighted Works may also be used without obtaining the permission of the copyright holder within the following scope. (Note 3)
- Academic research, educational and learning activities
- Use by the news media
- Use in printed media
- Use in websites and social media
For all other cases, the consent of the copyright holder is required prior to using the Copyrighted Works. However, even if the above conditions are satisfied, in the cases when the Copyrighted Works include the images or videos in which a person can be identified, prior request and permission are required. In addition, prior permission is required when NAOJ’s Copyrighted Work is the main material for the product or the logo is used. Parties desiring to use Copyrighted Works shall apply to NAOJ using the standard format.
Use of Copyrighted Works on this site in the following activities is expressly prohibited in all circumstances.
- Use for purposes in contravention of public order and morals
- Use under applications that submitted with false information
- Use that misleads regarding NAOJ and related undertakings, or other specific organizations or individuals; use that significantly undermines the image or credibility of NAOJ, related undertakings, or other specific organizations or individuals
NAOJ retains the right to prohibit use it deems to be inappropriate.
(Note 2) Article 30-Article 47-8 Back
(Note 3) Selling the Copyrighted Works on this site themselves (e.g. stock photography service) is not allowed without prior permission. Back
(2) Conditions on use
Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, explicit credit shall be given to NAOJ when using Copyrighted Works on this site by, for example, including indications such as “(c) National Astronomical Observatory of Japan,” “(c) NAOJ,” “Courtesy of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan,” and “Courtesy of NAOJ.”
4. Unauthorized use
5. Links to this Site
Links to this site may be made at will. However, the following actions are prohibited.
- Linking to sites whose purposes and content are contrary to public order and morals
- Links that potentially mislead regarding NAOJ or related undertakings, or specific organizations or individuals; links that could significantly undermine the image or credibility of NAOJ, relevant undertakings, specific organizations, or specific individuals
- Links that give the impression that the content of this site is part of the linking site
(1) User information
This site may obtain information that can be used to identify individuals (names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, etc.) when users make inquiries regarding this site or register for services on this site.
(2) Scope of information usage
Information obtained by this site shall be handled appropriately as set forth in the Act on the Protection of Personal Information of Japan, and personal information shall be disclosed as set forth in the Act on the Protection of Personal Information of Japan.
(3) Access logs
This site may obtain and retain access logs for the purpose of analyzing usage of the site. Access logs contain IP addresses, domain names, browser types, and access times, but it is impossible to identify email addresses, names, or other personal information from this information alone.
- Update History: August 7, 2017
- April 17, 2017
- January 21, 2016
- April 1, 2012