All copyrighted works on this site are property of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan with exceptions. (Note 1)
(Note 1) Some copyrights are jointly owned by NAOJ and other institutions; others are not owned by NAOJ. Back
NAOJ manages and operates this site with the utmost of care, but bears no liability for any damages incurred as a result of the use of this site or information contained on this site.
NAOJ may modify or delete information contained on this site without notice, and may suspend or terminate the operation of this site without notice. In such cases, NAOJ bears no liability for any inconvenience or other problems resulting therefrom.
NOAJ Copyrighted Works on this site may be used within the following scope and subject to the following terms. Separate terms apply to copyrights that are jointly owned by NAOJ and other institutions and to copyrights that are not owned by NAOJ.
(1) Scope of use
Copyrighted Works may be used without obtaining the permission of the copyright holder provided such use is for educational activities at schools and other educational institutions or personal use as set forth in the general restrictions on rights in the Copyright Act of Japan. (Note 2)
Copyrighted Works may also be used without obtaining the permission of the copyright holder within the following scope. (Note 3)
- Academic research, educational and learning activities
- Use by the news media
- Use in printed media
- Use in websites and social media
For all other cases, the consent of the copyright holder is required prior to using the Copyrighted Works. However, even if the above conditions are satisfied, in the cases when the Copyrighted Works include the images or videos in which a person can be identified, prior request and permission are required. In addition, prior permission is required when NAOJ’s Copyrighted Work is the main material for the product or the logo is used. Parties desiring to use Copyrighted Works shall apply to NAOJ using the standard format.
Use of Copyrighted Works on this site in the following activities is expressly prohibited in all circumstances.
- Use for purposes in contravention of public order and morals
- Use under applications that submitted with false information
- Use that misleads regarding NAOJ and related undertakings, or other specific organizations or individuals; use that significantly undermines the image or credibility of NAOJ, related undertakings, or other specific organizations or individuals
NAOJ retains the right to prohibit use it deems to be inappropriate.
(Note 2) Article 30-Article 47-8 Back
(Note 3) Selling the Copyrighted Works on this site themselves (e.g. stock photography service) is not allowed without prior permission. Back
(2) Conditions on use
Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, explicit credit shall be given to NAOJ when using Copyrighted Works on this site by, for example, including indications such as “(c) National Astronomical Observatory of Japan,” “(c) NAOJ,” “Courtesy of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan,” and “Courtesy of NAOJ.”
4. Unauthorized use
5. Links to this Site
Links to this site may be made at will. However, the following actions are prohibited.
- Linking to sites whose purposes and content are contrary to public order and morals
- Links that potentially mislead regarding NAOJ or related undertakings, or specific organizations or individuals; links that could significantly undermine the image or credibility of NAOJ, relevant undertakings, specific organizations, or specific individuals
- Links that give the impression that the content of this site is part of the linking site
(1) Scope, handling, and management of collected personal information
This site records and keeps access logs such as access date and time, terminal information (hardware model, operating system, and browser), IP address, reference URL, etc. Access logs are used to preserve network security, to prevent fraud, to optimize network and computer resources, and to statistically analyze access trends and numbers.
For details on how we collect, use, and manage access logs, see “General Access Logging Policy in NAOJ (GALP)”.
The access log may be analyzed by processing it into aggregate statistical information so that the individual cannot be identified. The analysis results are used to see the access tendencies of the users and used as reference for site management. Analysis results may be announced.
(Collecting Personal information for various services)
This site collects the minimum necessary personal information for registrating to various services, contact forms, etc. The collected personal information is used for the purposes of that service only; it will not be used for other purposes. Also, we will properly and safely manage the personal information and use it in reasonable ways. We will delete the information after it has served its purpose and the required storage period expires.
(2) About the discloser, correction, use-stoppage, and deletion of the personal information
In principle, the personal information collected in this site will not be disclosed or provided to third parties except for the following cases.
- When the user agrees.
- When NAOJ consigns all or part of the handling of the personal information to a third party to the extent necessary for the purpose of use.
- When requested based on legal grounds.
- When it is necessary to protect the life, body, or property of a person, and it would be difficult to obtain the user’s consent.
- When it is particularly necessary for improving public health or promoting the healthy growth of children, and it would be difficult to obtain the user’s consent.
- In the case of cooperating with government agencies, local public organizations, or persons who are entrusted with the affairs prescribed by laws and regulations, when there is a possibility that obtaining the user’s consent could hinder the enforce of the affairs.
When NAOJ is requested from users themselves, to disclose, correct, stop using, or delete personal information based on the provisions of laws and regulations, NAOJ follows the procedures specified by the National Institutes of Natural Sciences.
Contact information about personal information
ADC Network Operation Group Privacy Office
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan
National Institutes of Natural Sciences
2-21-1 Mitaka, Osawa, Tokyo 181-8588, Japan
For more information on Google Analytics, please visit Google’s website.
- How data is collected and processed by Google Analytics
- How to disable cookies
Cookies can be restricted by settings in the browser. For details, please refer to your browser’s documentaion.
- June 15, 2018
- May 25, 2018
- August 7, 2017
- April 17, 2017
- January 21, 2016
- April 1, 2012