Last Entry 6 p.m. / Free Entry / No Registration Required
Mitaka Open House Day 2016 will be held on Oct. 21 and 22, 2016.
This annual open house showcases 4 institutes: the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan; the Astrobiology Center; the Institute of Astronomy, University of Tokyo; and the Department of Astronomical Science, School of Physical Sciences, the Graduate University for Advanced Studies (SOKENDAI).
There are many fun events, such as, public viewing of the research facilities, exhibitions, lectures, and so on. Stargazing parties will be held at the Sports Field, and exhibitors will offer goods for sale. In addition, the Mitaka Picture Book House in the Astronomical Observatory Forest will offer exhibitions. Let’s enjoy the Mitaka Open House at the Mitaka Campus surrounded by nature.
- October 19, 2016
- October 21 program is added.
- October 7, 2016
- October 22 program is added.
- September 28, 2016
- Mikata Open House Day 2016 website is launched.
Mitaka Open House Day Photo Report
We will share the Mitaka Open House Day on Instagram, so everybody can see what it is like. Let's enjoy this event together!
Let's enjoy the event together!
Please post your photos with the hashtag #naojday. We will give a gift to anyone who posts photos using the hashtag. So, say hello to the staff members wearing Happi, a traditional Japanese straight-sleeved coat, and show us your post.
Lecture in English
Listening to the universe with gravitational waves
October 22, 1:00 p.m. - 2:20 p.m. / NAOJ Large Seminar Room
Dr. Raffaele FLAMINIO
(Specially Appointed Professor of NAOJ)
September 14th, 2015: one hundred years after the establishment of the theory of general relativity by Albert Einstein, scientists detected gravitational waves for the first time. This event is the achievement of more than 50 years of research by three generation of scientists around the world. It is the beginning of a new type of astronomy. But, what are gravitational waves? How are they generated? How do we detect them? In this presentation the answers to these questions will be provided together with the many open questions that gravitational wave astronomy is attempting to answer.
Special Movie (Japanese language only)
- National Astronomical Observatory of Japan Mitaka Campus
- Institute of Astronomy, the University of Tokyo (next to NAOJ Mitaka Campus)
- Mitaka Picture Book House in the Astronomical Observatory Forest (next to NAOJ Mitaka Campus)
2-21-1 Osawa, Mitaka, Tokyo (Access)
- The entrance is the main gate of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan(NAOJ). The rear gate will be closed this day, so visitors to the Mitaka Picture Book House in the Astronomical Observatory Forest, should please come in through the main gate of NAOJ.
- Please do not come to the campus by a car. (The visitor parking of NAOJ will not be opened on Oct. 21 - Oct. 22.)
- If visitors with disabilities come to visit by a car, please contact us. We will make arrangements.
- Please do not bring your pets in to the campus. However, the service animals are allowed in the campus.
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan
2-21-1 Osawa, Mitaka, Tokyo