Revised April 1, 2012
All copyrighted works on this Site are property of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan except for those explicitly designated to the contrary (Note 1).
* Note 1: Some copyrights are jointly owned by NAOJ and other institutions; others are not owned by NAOJ.
NAOJ manages and operates this Site with the utmost of care, but bears no liability for any damages incurred as a result of the use of this Site or information contained on this Site.
NAOJ may modify or delete information contained on this Site without notice, and may suspend or terminate the operation of this Site without notice. In such cases, NAOJ bears no liability for any inconvenience or other problems resulting therefrom.
Copyrighted Works on this Site may be used within the following scope and subject to the following terms. Separate terms apply to copyrights that are jointly owned by NAOJ and other institutions and to copyrights that are not owned by NAOJ.
(1) Scope of use
Copyrighted Works may be used without obtaining the permission of the copyright holder provided such use is for academic research, educational activities or personal use as set forth in the general restrictions on rights in the Copyright Act of Japan (Note 2).
Copyrighted Works may also be used without obtaining permission of the copyright holder within the following scope.
- Educational and learning activities at schools or equivalent educational institutions, learning activities at lifelong learning institutions (libraries, museums, community centers etc.), and other not-for-profit educational and learning activities
- Use as news materials by the news media
Copyrighted Works may be used in commercial activities and for-profit activities with the prior consent of the copyright holder. Parties desiring to use Copyrighted Works shall apply to NAOJ using the standard format.
Use of Copyrighted Works on this Site in the following activities is expressly prohibited in all circumstances.
- Use for purposes in contravention of public order and morals
- Use under applications that falsely state the purpose of use
- Use that misleads regarding NAOJ and related undertakings or other specific organizations or individuals; use that significantly undermines the image or credibility of NAOJ, related undertakings or other specific organizations or individuals
- Other use deemed inappropriate by NAOJ
* Note 2: Article 30-Article 47-8
(2) Conditions on use
Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, explicit credit shall be given to NAOJ when using Copyrighted Works on this Site by, for example, including indications such as “(c) National Astronomical Observatory of Japan,” “(c) NAOJ,” “Courtesy of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan,” and “Courtesy of NAOJ.”
Modifications to Copyrighted Works on this Site, including changes to image aspect ratios, cropping of images, insertion of images that significantly harms the original work, modifications and reversals etc. of colors, are prohibited (Note 3).
* Note 3: It is permitted to remove frames from images that are framed, to add symbols and text indicating the location of celestial bodies etc., and to change images to monochrome.
3. Unauthorized use
4. Links to this Site
Links to this Site may be made at will. However, the following actions are prohibited.
- Linking to websites whose purposes and content are contrary to public order and morals
- Links that potentially mislead regarding NAOJ or related undertakings, or specific organizations or individuals; links that could significantly undermine the image or credibility of NAOJ, relevant undertakings, specific organizations or specific individuals
- Links that give the impression that the content of this Site is part of the linking website (frame links and direct links to images and terminal files etc.)
(1) User information
This Site may obtain information that can be used to identify individuals (names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses etc.) when users make inquiries regarding this Site or register for services on this Site.
(2) Scope of information usage
Information obtained by this Site shall be handled appropriately as set forth in the Act on the Protection of Personal Information of Japan, and personal information shall be disclosed as set forth in the Act on the Protection of Personal Information of Japan.
(3) Access logs
This Site may obtain and retain access logs for the purpose of analyzing usage of the website. Access logs contain IP addresses, domain names, browser types, and access times, but it is impossible to identify email addresses, names or other personal information from this information alone.