Usage of Copyrighted Material
- Basic Policy Common to All Copyrighted Material
- Material Copyrighted Solely by NAOJ
- Material Copyrighted Jointly by NAOJ and Other Institutions
- Material Copyrighted by Third Parties
- When the Copyright Holder Is Unknown
- Application and Contact
We want as many people as possible to use NAOJ’s copyrighted material, because we believe that making our work accessible to the public is part of our social commitment and one of our ways to contribute to education and development in scientific fields including astronomy. We also hope that our policy will make our research activities known to a wider audience.
2. Basic Policy Common to All Copyrighted Material
You may use copyrighted works from the NAOJ website without any prior permission provided that you use them within the scope of free use granted under Japanese copyright law: for the purposes of private use, educational use, news reporting, etc.
We only ask you to give appropriate credit whenever you use these works.
However, there are some exceptions. From the perspectives of the portrait and publicity rights, photos and videos depicting the identifiable faces of individuals may not be used without permission even within the free use scope.
3. Material Copyrighted Solely by NAOJ
The copyrights on all works credited solely to NAOJ, such as images with the credit line “Credit: NAOJ”, are owned solely by NAOJ.
Credit examples: “Credit: NAOJ” or “Credit: National Astronomical Observatory of Japan”
Scope of Free Use
Among works copyrighted solely by NAOJ, those that are not subject to the portrait and publicity rights of identifiable individuals can be used without prior permission within the following scope:
- Public relations and outreach activities to promote astronomy and other sciences
- Academic research, education, and learning activities
- Information dissemination and content streaming (not restricted to press purposes, but also allowed for TV dramas, movies, educational programs, etc.)
- Publications (in any forms including magazines, books, and eBooks)
- Textbooks (in any forms including printed and eBook formats)
- Exam questions
- Museum exhibitions and public relations
- Public relations of businesses and local municipalities
- Information dissemination through websites, social media, or apps (regardless of whether any advertisement exists on the page)
- Material for announcements, comics, literature, art, etc.
Uses that are not listed above may be allowed in some cases, but prior permission from NAOJ is required. If your intended use falls under any of the following cases, please obtain prior permission through our online application form.
- In cases where NAOJ’s works depict the identifiable faces of individuals. From the perspectives of the portrait and publicity rights, using such works requires permission.
- In cases where you wish to sell products (e.g., stationery, general merchandise, etc.) featuring NAOJ’s works. In such cases, you need to contract with NAOJ and pay royalty fees.
- In cases where you wish to sell NAOJ’s works (such as through stock photo sites)
- In cases where you with to use NAOJ’s programs or source code
The following uses of NAOJ’s works are unauthorized:
- Using NAOJ’s works for purposes contrary to public order and morals
- Using NAOJ’s works to create a false or misleading impression of NAOJ, its related undertakings, specific institutions, and specific individuals, or to discredit any of them
As far as the situation allows, a credit line should appear explicitly alongside any borrowed material. However, you may place the credit line separately from the material for the convenience of readers/viewers or according to the convention in the medium in which the material is used. We ask you to give credit in a way reasonable for your medium. Any use without credit may not be permitted.
“NAOJ” “National Astronomical Observatory of Japan” “NAOJ/NINS” “Credit: NAOJ” or “Courtesy of NAOJ” Modification
You may freely make modifications, such as trimming, changing colors, and adding text, to the material borrowed from our website.
4. Material Copyrighted Jointly by NAOJ and Other Institutions
The copyrights on works credited to NAOJ and other institutions or individuals are shared jointly by all entities credited.
Credit examples: “Credit: NAOJ/JAXA” “NAOJ/individual’s name”, etc.
If you wish to use such works beyond the scope of free use granted under Japanese copyright law, you must obtain permission from all copyright holders (NAOJ and other institutions/individuals). To obtain permission, please contact us through our online application form.
- Copyrighted Material of the ALMA Project (Credit ALMA (ESO/NAOJ/NRAO), etc.)
- Copyrighted Material of the 4D2U Project (Credit: 4D2U Project, NAOJ, etc.)
Some works of the HINODE Solar Observatory (those credited to “NAOJ/JAXA” “NAOJ/JAXA/MSU” or “NAOJ, JAXA, NASA/MSFC”) may be used in the same way as works credited solely to NAOJ.
5. Material Copyrighted by Third Parties
The copyrights on works for which NAOJ is not included in the credits are owned by third parties (other institutions or individuals). If you wish to use such works beyond the scope of free use granted under Japanese copyright law, you need to obtain permission from the respective copyright holders. Basically, we do not serve as a liaison to other organizations and individuals.
6. When the Copyright Holder is Unknown
When you wish to use works with unknown copyright holders beyond the scope of free use granted under Japanese law, please contact us through our online application form.
7. Application and Contact
When you apply for permission to use or contact us about our copyrighted material, please contact us through our online application form. Usually, we will reply within five business days, but depending on your inquiry, more days may be required. Please make sure to allow sufficient time when you make an inquiry.
Last Updated: March 31, 2022