The National Astronomical Observatory of Japan has been completely reorganized to incorporate the project system in accordance with the rearrangement of the Inter-University Research Institutes on April 1, 2004.
We redefined each research unit as an observatory/center which conducts projects with specific objectives and time frames. The aims of introducing the project scheme are to specify the research objectives and to attempt to further invigorate the research.
The introduced project system will advance the sharing of resources throughout the entire observatory, define the responsibilities and capabilities of the project leaders and staff, and encourage motivated research plans by improving clarity and independence.
We have reformed the centers and newly established research divisions, in accordance with the intensions of the project system.
Management through Cooperation with the Astronomy Community
As an open use institute for universities, the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) is administrated not just by NAOJ staff, but also by astronomy researchers from universities and related institutes. The Advisory Committee for Research and Management, an interface between the astronomical community and NAOJ, is the highest committee to determine key issues regarding management, such as oversight of personnel administration, restructuring, and so on.
NAOJ Advisory Committee for Research and Management (seventh term, period: April 1, 2016 - March 31, 2018)
From universities and related institutes
- ICHIMOTO, Kiyoshi : Professor, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University
- KAJITA, Takaaki : Professor, Institute for Cosmic Ray Research, The University of Tokyo
- SUGITA, Seiji : Professor, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo
- CHIBA, Masashi : Professor, Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University
- DOI, Mamoru : Professor, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo
- FUJISAWA, Kenta : Professor, The Research Institute for Time Studies, Yamaguchi University
- MATSUSHITA, Kyoko : Professor, Faculty of Science Division I, Tokyo University of Science
- MITSUDA, Kazuhisa : Professor, Institute of Space and Astronautical Science
- MURAKAMI, Izumi : Professor, National Institute for Fusion Science
- MOMOSE, Munetake : Professor, College of Science, Ibaraki University
- USUDA, Tomonori : Professor, TMT Project Office
- GOUDA, Naoteru : Professor, JASMINE Project Office
- KOKUBO, Eiichiro : Professor, Center for Computational Astrophysics
- KOBAYASHI, Hideyuki : Professor, Mizusawa VLBI Observatory
- SAKAMOTO, Seiichi : Professor, NAOJ Chile Observatory
- TAKAMI, Hideki : Professor, Advanced Technology Center
- TOMISAKA, Kohji : Professor, Division of Theoretical Astronomy
- HASEGAWA, Tetsuo : Specially Appointed Professor, NAOJ Chile Observatory
- HONMA, Mareki : Professor, Mizusawa VLBI Observatory
- YOSHIDA, Michitoshi : Professor, Subaru Telescope
- WATANABE, Junichi : Professor, Public Relations Center